Friday, August 13, 2010

Pushing Through

Last night I was all about quitting. I had had it.
Now I did not want to quit my Mary Kay business, I just wanted to quit the Director Qualification part. As I began mentally to make a list of those who had let me down including family members who were supposed to love me, I became unwittingly swathed in self-pity.
Self-pity is a slippery slope.
Helen Keller once said, "Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world."
The uncanny part is the way it slips up on you. Innocently, you review the situation and begin to make a laundry list of complaints. You think you are just sizing up the situation, but actually you are cementing the problem in place.
"Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world." (Millicent Fenwick) "Round and 'round you go living life on a roulette wheel rather than taking charge of it.
If I want to quit getting what I am getting, I have to change what I am doing. I have to even change my attitude towards what I am doing.
About 2 a.m. I awoke and my head was clear and I recognized that I had been duped by self-pity again. I took responsibility for my part of the shortcomings of my goals. After all, I have no control over anyone except myself.
I turned away from that path of destruction and began making a new plan.
I am ever so grateful that His mercies are new every morning. Today I choose to make it a great day.

2 comments:

Godsfamilyman said...

Girl, I needed this tonight! Thank you! See how important this blog is???!!!!

Anonymous said...

After receiving a phone call from Dana at Mary Kay legal in regard to my blog, I was right there with you.