Tuesday, December 28, 2010

More of Him, Less of Me (literally)

During 2010 I lost 40 pounds. My goal for 2011 is to double that.
I am not ready to share my weight with the world yet, but seven and a half pounds a month is doable at my present weight.
I have had some serious health challenges the past couple of months and have decided it is time to leave the Isle of Denial and take up residency at Hoped For Cottage.
A couple of months ago I was asked to teach the class on Fear during the For My Life course available at Be in Health (see www.beinhealth.org for more info).
When I moved here over nine years ago, if you told me that I had fear, I would have laughed at you. My whole identity was wrapped up in being a survivor and an overcomer of 25 years of abuse. I would go from one abusive situation to another.
Now I can see clearly that I had a generous portion of the more than 4,000 fears identified my psychologists. They changed from fear of failure to fear of man. Guilt piggy-backed each one of them.
Rather than confront and deal with those fears, I chose to find comfort in food. I am now addicted to carbohydrates. Yes, it is an addiction. Addictions cannot be overcome by sheer will power. A person may be successful for a season, but until I came to a place of repentance for willful disobedience, I was not ready to surrender. Even now I am practicing surrender.
My set date is January 4th.
So I am getting things in place much like one would prepare for a journey. Indeed this will be a life-changing journey.
I will be using the tools that I have learned at Be in Health, a couple of books like Feeding Your Appetites by Stephen Arterburn, some accountability partners and record keeping.
If you have any addiction, you are an excellent liar. Lying to yourself is much easier than admitting the truth. Lying buys time, but speeds up destruction. That is why accountability is important.
My commitment to you, my reader/follower, is to quit lying and to share the good, the bad and the ugly of this journey. A life of excessive indulgence is a life full of wilful disobedience which is sin. Sin separates me from God. The answer then is for there to be More of Him and His way and less of me and my disobedience until you can no longer distinguish my image from His.

3 comments:

Kathy B said...

Diane...thank you for being transparent enough to share your journey with us...you are an answer to my prayers as I have recently become aware of an addiction that I have, that is very strong. So I will be
making this journey along with you. I am comforted in knowing that God is for us and not against us, and that HE sent his SON, that we might have life and have it more abundantly!

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful and amazing woman, Diane! I was blessed abundantly as you stood and taught the Fear class last week. Thank you, sister for standing in the midst of your battle and teaching us, young woman, to overcome. Thank you for being a blessing to me.

I pray that our gracious God will cause you to hear His lovingkindness each morning (Ps. 143), that His love will cast the fears away, especially those fears that drive us to seek false comforters to cover up and escape the torment. Daddy, give much grace and mercy to my sister, Diane, to the glory of Your Name, for she longs to praise You more and more.

I love you, Diane. xoxo, Jenny

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful and amazing woman, Diane! I was blessed abundantly as you stood and taught the Fear class last week. Thank you, sister for standing in the midst of your battle and teaching us, young woman, to overcome. Thank you for being a blessing to me.

I pray that our gracious God will cause you to hear His lovingkindness each morning (Ps. 143), that His love will cast the fears away, especially those fears that drive us to seek false comforters to cover up and escape the torment. Daddy, give much grace and mercy to my sister, Diane, to the glory of Your Name, for she longs to praise You more and more.

I love you, Diane.
xoxo, Jenny