Monday, July 27, 2009

My Hopes, My Dreams, My Future

I had a priest once who said, "To listen truly listen to someone is to allow the Christ in them to be formed."
He went on to explain that God has given us the answers to our problems, but it often isn't until we share our heart that the answers form from our own mouth. Yesterday I had two dear friends who visited me. Just sharing allowed me to have clarity over a situation that I was conflicted over.
Until recently I was the queen of self-sabotage. I could get most any job, but soon I was doing things that would sabotage my effectiveness and before long I was resigning because I was sure it was only a matter of time before they would fire me. How insane is that?
Now that I know fully that God is my Source, not the job, I am not driven to self-destruct nor even driven to perform. I simply do my best for Him.
Our trip to Ireland was very healing. It was time out for the two of us as a couple. We get way too little of that. There were no deadlines to meet and everywhere we went people went out of their way to see that we had a delightful visit. I saw hospitality as a way of life.
I came home determined to rid my own life of performance and drivenness, but I had not a clue what that would look like.
I knew I had to refinance our home and the goal is to pay it off in the next seven years. The problem is that credit requirements are particularly stringent and it will take someone who does private mortgages. Since I know that would have to be a God-thing, it doesn't stress me. I mean look at our trip to Ireland.
Still there was a part of me that wanted to help God make it happen.
I work for Be In Health and I sell Mary Kay. Should I back off off the predictable income job that I love and push for personal sales and make it happen? I had no peace in that, but I really didn't know if that was fear of failure.
Then I was watching a Food Network challenge last night and this young woman said something like this: "It is better to fail at something you love than succeed at the wrong thing."
I love my job. Last Thursday when I taught Unloving, I could see that I was making a difference in people's lives so that they could know freedom from the enemy. People came to me afterward with gracious comments.
One girl was so cute. She said, "I got it! I finally got! Thank you so much. I finally understand what I was allowing the enemy to do in my life."
She went on to say that she had called her husband the night before and told him to come get her. She didn't understand anything and this was a waste. He didn't do that. So she had come that morning anyway and now she had the key to her freedom.
I love being one of the moderators of the Bulletin Board. It's like have an interactive extended family with people helping each other.
So last night when she said, "It is better to fail at something you love than succeed at the wrong thing," Be In Health won hands down.
Almost immediately the Lord gave me a way to build the internet side of my Mary Kay business. It is rather passive and will not take away from Be In Health in the least. Also, I saw God sell Mary Kay for me before I went to Ireland when I was too busy. Just last week someone who hasn't ordered in a week, called me out of the blue to order. I have to be faithful to keep my "store" stocked and give good service, but I don't have to get into drivenness over it.
Corrie Tem Boom once said, "Hold everything loosely because it hurts when God pries your fingers open."
That everything includes my hopes, my dreams and my future.
Today once again, I lay it all in His hands. He is faithful. What shall I fear if I totally surrender to Him?

No comments: