Sunday, November 7, 2010

That Cozy Time of the Year

When it is cold outside, I can always find fun things to do inside.
For many years, I made crafts to sell to make extra money especially for Christmas. Some years things were so tight, that I used what I could find outside free for the taking to create special things. From tiny pine cones brought home by my truck driving husband who gathered them in North Carolina to the sweet gum balls from the tree in the front yard. In the fall the kids and I would gather kudzu and make everything from trees to wreaths.
I had an excellent teacher and friend in Sally Swift. She is about 10 years my senior and a gifted artist. We would spend evenings together creating. She patiently coached me through new techniques.
Since moving to Georgia, I have missed that time spent together more often that not with a hot cup of tea.
Sally continues her passion today. You can see her work at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/allthingshomey

When Mom still lived in Jacksonville, I got to see Sally more often and frequently I would leave with a shopping bag of snippets and treasures she had saved for me to use on future projects. I always felt I came home with a bit of Sally with me.
The other day I was rearranging a cabinet in the Mary Kay room and came across a jar of buttons from Sally. I couldn't help but smile.
Today I thank God for special friends. Lord, bless them for all they have poured out in the lives of others and then some.

1 comment:

AllThingsHomey said...

You make me homesick for a visit with YOU. Thank you for the nice comments and publicizing my etsy shop. You would invariably ask me to help you make soething I had never made before and it stretched me. God always blesses the giver and you gave me your friendship and belief that I could do almost anything. I am proud of what you have accomplished with your life, family and business not to forget to mention, your faith!! xo xo xo