Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Full of His Joy

 There are seasons in our lives when so much is going on often coming at us from directions that we wonder why. We do a quick checklist of what we have done, we repent, but the barrage continues.
Now we have a choice. Go up or go down. The choice is ours. 
We each have 24 hours a day. We can choose to be happy or depressed. As a young adult, I was hospitalized several times for depression. So I am not dismissing the seriousness of it. However, I gave more power to depression than to joy. I became overwhelmed by life especially during the season that I was a single mother with small children. I became overwhelmed because I tried to do everything in my own strength. The truth is that wasn't possible. 

Joy isn't a feeling. It is not the same as happiness.  Joy isn't a smile or a belly laugh. However,  the most important thing to note is that Joy is not affected  by our circumstances. It's anchor is deep within. Joy comes out of rejoicing. It cannot not be fabricated. That is why He says He inhabits the praises of His people. When you rejoice in the Lord, there is a gratitude that springs forth, a knowing that gives us, confidence and hope. 
When you have this joy, you will be  joyful regardless of  circumstances, regardless if things are going well or not.

John 15:9  "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.  (10)  "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.  (11)  "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.  (12)  "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
 Oftentimes we are so full of the cares of the world that there isn't room for joy. Joy comes out of abiding, not drivenness to get through it. We must rest in Him. 
Joy comes from relationship with Him, not a nod in His direction. 
I am telling you that when you are full of the love of God is like wearing a costly designer perfume. It permeates the room. It isn't you at all. It is His love percolating within spilling over in joy.We can't help but share it.
When we experience His love, you WILL want to pass that love on to others. It's a free gift. 
Have you received the Father's love for yourself. I promise you that no matter how much you have received,  there is more. It cannot be contained. That is why the more we receive, the more we pour it on others. 
Jesus said, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love;" It is a conditional promise. Keep His commandments THEN you will abide in His love. Then His joy will be in you and your joy will be FULL. 




2 comments:

Lynne said...

This is good, Diane, thank you! I want to wear that "fragrance"!

AllThingsHomey said...

Joy comes out of rejoicing.
That is profound. Thank you for sharing that wonderful news.
I didn't have Joy in all circumstances until I became baptised in the Holy spirit. Even so, the more I rejoice in Him, the more joy filled I become.