Friday, August 5, 2011

You Have to Know Who You Are Living For

Over 30 years ago, I ran for State Legislature.
I had been involved in housing rights and had a following of sorts. I had even won a gubernatorial appointment. One of the most dangerous things when you are in that position is to believe your press.
I was frequently on the second front of the local evening paper. When it was all over, I only came in third of five candidates.
I did the Monday morning quarterbacking everyone does and saw that there were areas of the campaign that I was not particularly proud of. There was always that jockeying for position. I saw how far I had been drawn away from the values I had grown up with.
Becoming a Mary Kay Director in no way compares with the pressures of those times, but the temptations to not put first things first or squander time or procrastinate are all still there to trip me up.
I love the accolades. I love being Queen of Sales or Miss Go-Give, but it is all wood, hay and stubble if it becomes more important being who God has called me to be. It is a constant attitude check.
I have a small sign above my computer that says, "Am I Being the Servant Leader I Am Called to Be?" Now there is a reality check. Maybe I need to stop and make call, not a sale. Maybe I need to write a letter rather than an article that I will be paid for.
Today the Lord blessed me with another consultant. Only three more and I will go into DIQ. I have been in this place before, but my heart hasn't. It's softer than it was a year ago. I believe as I continue to empty myself out, He will fill me up with the right people, right things and right direction.
This song is my prayer.



No comments: