Tuesday, November 12, 2013

As Thyself

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind;
and thy neighbour as thyself. Luke 10:27
 
When flying there are pre-flight instructions. It’s the oxygen mask instruction that gets my attention. The masks drop down from above you if something happens to the air pressure. They tell me I have to fit my own mask first before helping infants or the elderly. I’ve always felt that the airlines have got it the wrong way round. Surely I have to help others first and make sure everyone around me is OK before I put on my mask. That’s the right and proper thing to do. Anything else is just pure selfish.
As they run through the drill, I sit in the plane and it occurs to me: I’m of no use to anyone else if I run out of air.   I must help myself before I can help anyone else. It's not selfish at all. In fact, in the final call, I am a liability if I cannot breathe myself.
This same principle could be applied to so many parts of  life. If I want to help someone with advice, I must first make sure that I live by that advice myself!
Often in the past I’ve offered advice to others yet not taken it on board within my own life.  How can I help fix someone else’s problems if I can’t take responsibility for my own? Frankly that is just being a busy body. 
There is no sense in talking the talk if I am not willing to walk the walk. Just hypocrisy.
I have to be willing to put on my oxygen mask first!
My attitude towards God and others is colored by my attitude towards myself. 
How can I love God when I think He made a mistake in creating me?
How can I pour out love for others if I am not receiving anything from the Father's heart for myself?
 
If I hate myself, I hate God and hate others. If I love myself, I love God and love others.
The beginning is to learn to love yourself.
 
For in him we live, and move, and have our being;
as certain also of your own poets have said,
 For we are also his offspring. Acts 17:28
 
 

No comments: