Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Don't Let Anyone Steal Your Dreams

I was once in a dreadful relationship. One day I went to work and returned from to work to find that he and his friends had cleaned out our attic. Everything that he didn't think was absolutely essential had been hauled away. That included the clothes I brought my babies home from the hospital in, old letters and pictures. Minutiae like the report that I was having twins. Things important only to me.
Something inside of me died that day when he said, "You don't need memories. You have me."
When I married Ray the following year, I began to dream again. One of our dreams from the beginning has been to go to Ireland together. This year it is finally happening. I wonder how much sooner it would have happened if during the journey of my life, I did not allow others to steal my dreams.
I heard the story of the man who sold hotdogs today. I just have to share it with you. I do not know the original author.

THE MAN WHO SOLD HOT DOGS

Many years ago there was a man who lived by the side of the road and sold HOT DOGS.
He was hard of hearing so he had no radio.
He had trouble with his eyes so he read no newspaper.
But he sold HOT DOGS
He put up signs on the highway telling how good they were.
He stood on the side of the road and cried: "BUY A HOT DOG, MISTER ?"
And people bought, because he was so enthusiastic.
He increased his meat and bun orders.
He bought a bigger stove to take care of his growing trade.
He was so happy selling Hot Dogs, and people enjoyed doing business with him.
One day his son came home from college to help him out.

And something happened.

His son said, "Father, haven’t you been listening to the radio.? Haven’t you been reading the newspaper.?

The situation in Europe is terrible. The Domestic situation is worse."

Whereupon the father thought, "Well, my son’s been to college, he reads the newspaper, he listens to the radio, and he ought to know."

So the father cut down on his meat and bun orders, he took down all his advertising signs, and no longer bothered to stand on the highway to sell his hot dogs.

And his HOT DOG sales fell, ALMOST OVERNIGHT.

"You’re right, son," the father said to the boy.

"WE CERTAINLY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A GREAT DEPRESSION."

Who are you listening to? Why?
The Word I hear is:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jer 29:11


Has someone taken away your dream? Take it back! Don't have a dream? Get one!


In the movie the Ghost Busters, you could identify them by the clothes they wore and their outrageous car.

Dream Busters are not nearly as recognizable. They could be your friend, your boss, a relative or even someone who loves you. They have had their dreams squashed and never had the courage or stamina to take back what the enemy stole.
Don't share your dreams with negative people. Share them with those who have dreams also.
Have an accountability partner or your dreams will be just that-a dream.
I think there is power in intercessors as well who are willing to pray for you. A dream needs balance.
Too often I have had dreams and gotten off track by neglecting the necessary. Can't tell you how many craft shows I did when I was young, totally neglecting kids and housework. God does things decently and in order.

Turn off the news and do some dreaming today.

No comments: