Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Peace of Snow

I had listened to a CD of healing scriptures all night Saturday and woke up Sunday morning feeling scrubbed clean. I still wasn't feeling physically strong so the guys went on to church without me.
I have an old recliner that in pitiful shape, but I love it because it is short. Most chairs extend beyond the bend of my knee as I am only 5'1". This one is designed for a shorty like me. It swivels and I had my back to the window for good reading light. About eleven, I decided to go take a nap and I swiveled back around. I was astounded. It was snowing. It wasn't flurries either. It was coming down like packing peanuts. I was absolutely mesmerized.
They had predicted snow, but we hear that a couple of times each winter and it usually stops at Atlanta or it comes as flurries that melt as soon as it hits the ground.
I went outside and saw it beginning to build. I was so excited. I fixed myself a hot cup of tea, got back in my recliner and just watched it fall. It fell for a couple of hours.
There is something calming and peaceful about watching snow fall.
Yes, I have lived where it snows. I know the mess and the challenges, but this blissful afternoon of just watching it cover my corner of the earth with its clean blanket of white nourished my soul.
I am reminded of when Jonathan first sang The Rose. It says, "Just remember that in the winter, far beneath the bitter snow lies the seed, that with the suns love in the spring becomes the rose."
My snow wasn't bitter, but there are many things in my life that I hope for that are yet unseen. Still just as surely as Spring will come, they too will come in His time.

No comments: