Saturday, December 27, 2008

An Expected End

My New Year’s resolution is to release friends and family of my expectations I inflict on them (and those they place on me). I also purpose to release myself from the ones I place on myself.
Expectations are generally unspoken; I hardly notice them anymore. For example, I expect that certain actions will yield specific results. Further, I expect that certain people will act in predetermined ways. I am often surprised and this isn’t always pleasant. In my belief system and in my control issues I hold expectations of what a good marriage looks like, a perfect family or even a good person or success. Sometimes these are too narrow and not godly.
Pain and suffering come when expectations are not met. If I finitely define what a marriage should look like, how children should behave, what success looks like, any other definition of it will bring disappointment. There is no room for God in the boxes that I draw. This black and white thinking often leads not only to disappointment,but hurt and anger and even depression.
Expectations are rooted in desire and fear, anxiety and stress. Often they are birthed out of fear of losing control. Anything less brings grief. If we only could see the tight box they keep us in. This box forces me to see my present experiences only as it fits in my plans for the future. When we release our expectations can we open ourselves to the possibilities of all God has for us.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11
If I choose His expected end, even it appears uncertain to me, I am free of the stress and the disappointment when MY life plan doesn’t work out perfectly.
Instead of keeping my eyes focused on my plan, I choose to focus on Him.

1 comment:

gideonmommasita said...

Jer. 29:11 is my favorite...though I cling to a different translation..."plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope."