Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Twins' Birthday


February 13th is the birthday of my twin daughters, Carrin and Margie.
At the end of last year I got the flu so severely that it caused my heart to begin to go into congestive failure. This is something I was healed of years ago. However, it frightened me and I got rather maudlin. What could I leave behind for my kids?
Last summer my mom found an old crystal necklace that her Aunt Livvy gave me when I graduated from high school in 1963. It was broken but still had many crystals. I thought it would be special to make necklaces for the twins from it somehow even though I had never made one before.
Then in the fall, Mary Pat gave me a crystal necklace from her mom. Hers were all the same size and smaller. I thought that they would be perfect spacers. Last weekend Ray went to Hobby Lobby to pick up the thread and tools and met a really nice lady named Vicki who guided him through the process.
When he came home he was pumped. He said just tell me what you want.
The twins are not identical. So I wanted them similar, but different. So I laid out the design and without hesitation, he began adding the clasp, crimping the end the way Vicki showed him and stringing. He dropped the first necklace THREE times, but just got down on his knees, regathered the beads and calmly began again. There was much rejoicing when he finished. I fell in love all over again.
My hero!
Then he began on the next one. After that was completed, he made earrings. He didn't like the first pair. So he did it again plus there were enough beads left to make me a pair.
I sent a picture of the necklaces to my sister, Karen, and told her my congestive heart failure story and her response was to keep finding things you need to finish first. Besides there's no hurry anyway.
So Happy Birthday, Carrin and Margie!
I am going to find another memory to share with another. Your gift made me a rich woman.

1 comment:

ewe scrap said...

Where is the photo of your's and Ray's creations?
I was having a hard time relating when you told me about making jewelry together. I've never made jewelry. Probably because I don't wear much..jewelry that is!
Belated Happy Birthday to Margie and Carrin.