Monday, January 3, 2011

Time for Me to Take Responsibility for My Life

The last two evenings have been difficult ones where I gave into the sugar in the house. Today we take my mom back to South Carolina and all Missippi Mud cake, sour cream cake, etc. will go. Is it my mom's fault that I ate those things?
Absolutely not.
Although I don't think it is kind to bake those kind of things when someone is making an effort to overcome their sugar addictions, ultimately it is my responsiblity to say. "No, thank you."
N
"No, thank you," when she brings a box of Godiva chocolates to my bed where I am reading a book.
You see part of the work of overcoming an addiction is to take responsibility for yourself and your choices. Not once did anyone force feed me.
I could also whine that unlike alcohol and drugs, food is legal and is everywhere. No one is going to arrest you for disorderly conduct when your sugar has gone through the roof because you overdosed on Mississippi Mud Cake. I can keep my home environment cleaner when Mom leaves, but I still have two guys living with me who don't have the temptations I do and can and will bring unhealthy things into my space.
So it goes back to taking personal responsibility for my life.
Addictions lie. They do not love you. It is rebellion gone mad.
If the following is your song, then it is time to take responsibility for the things that can and like me quit blaming people and circumstances.
So excited for His promise that His mercies are new morning.
No longer choosing rebellion. I am taking back my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure understand your battle. Here are some things that helped me. First off God doesn't expect you to fight this alone, matter of fact I was reading 2 Chron. today about Jehosephat and how he didn't even have to fight a battle God did it ALL for him. So ask those men in your life to help.(they love you and want to help.) I had to ask my husband to put the peanut butter some place where I wouldn't see it all the time. I could find it if I really wanted too, but he was happy to put it out of my minds eye. The other thing that I believe God has told me is I can have anything I want, because HE has given it all to me. However, I can't have it everyday, or ALL of it! And also remember it's a journey, it took me 48 years to decide to take care of my body and to love myself more than I love food. All those lies I believed sometimes takes time to recognize them all, so when I fail I do NOT give in and give up. I ask God to forgive, I forgive myself and then I go forward! It's worth every minute, it's worth every non eaten bite! You go girl! God is on your side, how can you fail!

M.H. said...

Diane,
You are a beautiful, wonderful, daughter of the Most High God, in whom He is well pleased! You are saved by grace. You are sooooooooooooooooo very loved, every second of every minute of every hour of every day! You're also my friend, of which I am very, very glad! Now go and kick some Unloving butt, dear one, until it goes back where it belongs, and takes Addictions with it!

Hugssssssssssssssssssssss!!
Michelle