Monday, January 10, 2011

Twenty-Eight Days

My inbox this morning contained the final part of Addictions from Be in Health today. (www.beinhealth.com) One paragraph said, "A person must choose their freedom or their bondage. God has given us the ability to choose so we must understand how to defeat the strong man behind addiction. A person has to understand that it involves recognition, taking responsibility, repentance, and they are going to have to take a stand no matter how much their body is pitching a fit. It takes 28 days and a change in a person's heart. We can get rid of bad habits by making new good habits. The Bible says choose this day what you shall have, blessings or curses, life or death.
I have an addiction to simple carbs. That includes everything from sugar to a potato. They break down too quickly, spikes my sugar, give me horrendous cravings, which then necessitates the need for a shot of insulin.
I had done exceedingly well on the weekend which is usually my hardest time to correct my eating. Then about 7 pm, Mike walked in with Cheese Nips. I wanted just a few. The few turned to many and then I was off to the races. The cravings kicked in and I ate from an orange to a piece of fruit cake leftover from Christmas to a single piece of Dove chocolate. Finally, I came to my senses.
To those who don't understand addictions and cravings, this was FOUR HOURS after the first Cheese Nip. If the simple carbs had been alcohol or drugs, I would have been flat on the floor. That is the insidiousness of an addiction to simple carbs, shopping, toxic relationships, or other legal choices. Things seem so normal on the outside. Well, if you have an addiction to simple carbs, you are going to get fat. (I am already fat.) But the illusion that you don't have a problem, keeps the addiction intact.
That same article says, "The need to be loved is built within us from creation. The ability to give and receive love is part of our creation. But because of the breakdown in our families, we have not loved God, ourselves or each other. We try to nurture ourselves and it is being driven by the need to be loved."
I have recognized this. It has taken a while. So as I began to recover myself, I repented and I received my forgiveness. That is key, because one of the things that holds addictions in place is that we do not forgive ourselves. Next I brought to remembrance the things I had done right. I lost seven pounds last week. I had eaten correctly until 7 pm and most of the week before. I had walked the dog for exercise. I had deliberately walked more that week in other ways.
You see the enemy comes to remind you that you are a loser and you will never get it right so why bother. That is such a lie!
Lamentations 3:22-23 says: It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
Today I begin again, once again. This is not in vanity. (I am over 100 lbs overweight for those who don't know me.) I have to make these changes to preserve my life and live the abundant life He wants me to have.
Today I begin another twenty-eight days. Want to join me with whatever you are struggling with?
If you have blown it, would you choose today to repent, forgive yourself and begin again with me. God is not mad at you. He loves you right where you are.
You don't have to be super woman. When you are weak, He is strong.
Lean on Him and if you are in that miry pit, ask Him to raise you up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

twenty eight days! Doesn't sound like a very long time and yet to someone with an addiction of any kind it's forever. But you are so right, you keep it up!

Unknown said...

Somebody reminded me today of the movie, Twenty-Eight Days. I had forgotten it. Maybe I need to re-watch it.