Saturday, April 26, 2014

Can You Be Still?


When you wake in the morning do you have to turn noise on? Television, computers, iPads, mp3 players added to the mix is the noise of the other family members.

Your spirit needs quiet every bit as much as it needs fellowship. To begin with noise is to splash ice water on your face. It jolts you into your day.

For me I have to slip out of bed before others get up. Sometimes it is four a.m. and I just sit on the edge of the bed talking to the Father and then I listen. I enjoy the quiet. I hear birds singing. It is a way for me to begin with gratitude instead of demands. More often than not, I will then lie back down and get the sweetest ninety minutes of sleep. Now when the alarm goes off, I am ready.

I so understand that may not work for everyone. Another quiet time I have is when I come home from work an hour before Ray. To sit in the family room and listen to the birds, enjoy the flowers and sometimes the little children playing next door unhooks me from my job and refreshes me.

Others find solace in a bubble bath or a walk.  It doesn’t matter where you find your quiet time. What matters is that you do.

It allows your body to come into homeostasis. It allows your mind to slow down and not race over to do lists. It really helps make you a happier person, because you are no longer wound up tighter than a banjo string.

Try a three day experiment of purposefully finding quiet. Carve it out where you can find it. Make it a priority and see if you better understand the Father when He says, “Be still and know that I am God.” You will find that some of the things you have been carrying are not yours to carry. Lay them down and Him handle them.

For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel;
 In returning and rest shall ye be saved;
in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength:
 and ye would not.
Isaiah 30:15
When I run to Daddy, rest in His everlasting arms, I shall be safe and I will be strong enough to face whatever comes my way. I do not want to hear Him say, "Ye would not."
 
 

 

No comments: