Saturday, October 12, 2013

Handmade Love

As we set our sights on eliminating all credit card debt (again), one of the ways we will adjust is by having a handmade Christmas.
Our daughter, Margie, has requested a grapevine Christmas tree as a centerpiece for her dining table. I almost choked. As a teen she hated gathering kudzu on the woods for me to make trees and wreaths for sale. Now she wanted this throw back to the past? You just never know what children remember.
I remember one Christmas tree I made for a wholesale florist was five feet tall. I am only 5'2". So it was a stretch. ad
The thing about working with vine is that as it dries, it shrinks. So even though you may think your frame is covered, three days later you will see gaping holes. So you wrap over the original, wait three days and do it once more.
I remember how hard it was on my hands so I thought I'd check eBay and maybe I could fake it. No such luck! It was $50 and not as plump and full as mine.
So I will be making my little Margie hers. Besides Georgia has way more kudzu than Florida.
My friend, Sally Swift, used to make all sorts of things to sell at Christmas craft shows and fairs. She is truly an artist who patiently taught me many things. I remember making tiny woolen sheep. Each one was slightly different. She showed me how to make gingerbread men from corrugated paper.
She was an artist who could do the most complicated quilt or hand painted picture while mine were simpler, folksy whimsies.
Even though I sell Mary Kay, I love making and giving natural body scrubs and lotions. I am counting on Curstie to share some of her recipes (We both love coconut oil.) My cousin, Lisa, plays with essential oils and I love anything with lavender. I love buying the lavender for sachets and adding essential oils as a refresher.
Of course, a family favorite is always anything good to eat from fudge to pumpkin rolls.

Cinnamon applesauce ornaments are so easy and so fragrant.

If you want to give some handmade love for Christmas, it's not too early to get started.


No comments: