Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Slice of Humble Pie?

Over a year ago I was asked to do a taping for a teaching I do at Be In Health called Unloving. The team was going to the UK the following week and needed it quickly.
They had just finished a small recording studio.
I was ushered in. Everything looked perfect. Compact, but perfect.
The teaching was about ninety minutes long. I was to stand in one place for ninety minutes.
Well, with every ounce of drivenness and performance, I gave myself the "I Can Do This!" speech in my head.
Normally I engage the audience and I walk from one side to the other in the presentation.
Nope. I had my square and it was barely as big as I am.
Since it was going to the UK, I was asked to use no colloquialisms or idioms that could be misunderstood.
Well, I was raised in the South and our vocabulary is peppered with our special language. The King's English it ain't. So no pressure.
I began. The camera didn't bother me but after about an hour, the lights were about to take me out. I really thought I might pass out. 
So I gave the time sign and paused. I then asked for a fan. They got me a chair, water and after about ten minutes they located a fan and I began again.
No worries. Right?
Well, almost.

You see in January. they decided to release the DVDs one by one each month so our Partners could watch the program one subject each month and have a followup teleconference call for discussion. This is my month. I didn't watch it. I knew I would critique myself and it wouldn't be pretty.
So today I got a phone call from Long Island. After I solved her problem, she said, "Did you know that when you were teaching Unloving that the camera was still rolling when you took your break?"
"Uh, no....."
She proceeds to tell me all about it.

Well, I am sure glad that I behaved myself.
The glitch has been fixed, but I felt I had been served a large piece of humble pie.
As Christians we are told that we may be the only Bible some people read.
So when you are taking a break from life as I did in that hot studio, please remember somebody may be watching.

No comments: