Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Grandchildren by Proxy





One of the things that I miss the most by living here is my grandchildren. The closest are three and a half hours away. In fact, one of those granddaughters has blessed me with two precious great-grandchildren.
I love baking and doing crafts with elementary aged children who still see life with wonder and awe. So today I brought two precious ones home with me. They were so excited to come with me to make cookies and marshmallow snowmen.
We made M&M cookies from a mix my daughter, Carrin, sent me at Christmas. Maran really likes the cookie dough.
However, the most fun came from making igloos out of sugar cubes and then snowmen out of marshmallows. I had made the snowmen at Christmas with my grandchildren, Christopher and Emily, and they loved them. So I was sure that Ian and Maran would as well. In both cases, some of the chocolate never made it to the snowmen. But isn't that the fun of it?
The igloos were imploding, but Ray came home in time to act as the official igloo contractor. Not bad for a boy from New York City.
I was really impressed when Ian began bagging the cookies to take home. He equally divided the cookies and didn't try to take the biggest or the bestest. In fact, he told me he liked the darker cookies. Go figure. When he was through, I gave him half of our half. After all, his family is twice the size of ours.
I really believe the secret to staying young is to play. I had a ball today playing. Nothing was serious and there were no deadlines.
We made a mess and it was okay. The simplest antics brought lots of giggles. Where did we lose that? I guess that answer doesn't really matter.
What does matter is that when you give your heart and time to a child, you can regain hope and joy. Each day is a gift. Multiply that gift by making someone giggle. It will be good for both of you.

No comments: