Saturday, January 17, 2009

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Ray and I were married 30 years ago when we were both in our 30s. It was a tumultuous beginning as we each had children, some with special needs. There were those that said our marriage wouldn't last a year. There were even times when we would have agreed.
The worse it got, the more we sought God the best we could. In the first seven years especially, there were financial catastrophes, major illnesses and other stresses, but each time God met us. It was during this time that I really relied on a song by Ethel Waters called His Eye is on the Sparrow. I played it, I sang it and I even opened a little shop called The Little Sparrow. It was time in my life when I knew that I knew that though we were hard pressed, we were in His hands. He met us each time right on time.
I can look back now and see how He protected us even we made wrong choices. Because it was so long ago, I can also see how he has made something beautiful out of all.
Our fondest memories are when we lived in a tiny rundown farm house in the midst of a large dairy farm. When we moved to a larger farmhouse a year or so later it was patched with license tags. What joy was wrought on that farm and we could tell you stories for hours of how God met us, cared for us and fed us.
You are worth so much more than that tiny bird.
His eye really is on you today.

2 comments:

AllThingsHomey said...

Whenever I hear that song or read that scripture, I always think of you and your Little Sparrow shop.
I was surprised that you didn't name your Blog, The Little Sparrow.
You and Ray have been such testimonies of God's faithfulness and Grace as you become humble waiting on Him.

Mama D said...

Some people seem to have two or three blogs going for different purposes. Maybe that will be my next one. Just trying to hear God on this. So glad you gave me the nudge. It is very cathartic.
Love you dearly,