Saturday, January 3, 2009

Doing What's Best

Too often we care more about not causing waves, keeping the peace, and making everyone happy, than we do about doing what is best for us. If we need to rest and choose to do that, we may be called selfish. If we don't visit our friend, we may be deemed as uncaring.

I have found when my plate is too full with just the everyday tasks and even simple pleasures, my strength fails and I tire easily. I have to be careful to choose my priorities carefully.
This is hard for me, because frankly sometimes I pay too much attention to what others might think than what the Holy Spirit may be nudging me to do. Truth is probably the person I am concerned about judging me hasn't given it a thought.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

So what are the commandments? Too often we look back to the Ten Commandments, but let's look at what Jesus said.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matthew 22:37-40

While it is certainly important to remember to the love the Lord, it is important to also remember that we cannot really love anyone else until we learn to love ourselves. When we operate in fear of loss or abandonment, we make choices that are unloving to ourselves in order to please someone else. What is our heart in this matter?

Solomon says that bring every work into judgment to see if it is good or evil. If we did because we felt we had to and we had resentment, that is not a good work no matter how it looks to others.

While raising children, I might say, "Attitude check," when there was grumbling, complaining or just plain rebellion.

Now I need to do that often with myself. Attitude check. Am I serving in love or is there grumbling, complaining or just plain rebellion? I am only called to fear (reverence, honor, respect) God and keep His commandments. If I do only what He has called me to do with joy,
my life will be lived in order and in peace.

Everything else is just wood, hay and stubble.

No comments: