Tuesday, September 17, 2013

He Can Change Your Name



Over 15 years while living in Rockwall, TX, I listened to Praise in the Night on KVTT radio in Dallas. Every morning on my way to morning prayer for one of those months, I would hear the song, I Will Change Your Name. Prayer was at 5:42 a.m. This was a healing time for me as I sought God with all of my heart.
The song was one of promise.

I will change your name
You shall no longer be called
Wounded, outcast, lonely or afraid

I will change your name
Your new name shall be
Confidence, joyfulness, overcoming one
Faithfulness, friend of God
One who seeks My face


It was an intimate time with the Lord that reshaped my life.
 
Later when I served on the mission field in Lesotho, an African chief  named me Memalerato. The translation is Mother of Love. I had failed miserably at raising mine. I did not know how to nurture. I remember that God often gives us names we have to grow into. He did that with Abram when he named him father of many by calling him Abraham. So I set out to learn how to love by watching how the Father loves. Unconditionally. With kindness. Does not keep score.
I had much to learn.

Too often we believe what others say about us instead of what the Father says about us. We can not allow the sins of others to shape us.
While "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me," is a lie from the pit of hell, we do not have to have to take it in.

We can be pierced, but not wounded. It is an "ow-ey", but we clean it up and treat it. We don't allow it to fester and become infected with bitterness.

Read the lyrics backwards now:
One who seeks My face
Friend of God
Faithfulness.

Does that describe me today? If so, will He not change my name?
As I seek His face, the wounds will heal. I will no longer be outcast, but treasured. I cannot be lonely or afraid for He has promised to never leave me nor forsake me. He shows me this as I seek His face.

I want to have a name change.

http://youtu.be/lK7ubGt8NxM


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved reading this. It has really encouraged me this morning.

Unknown said...

I loved reading this. It has really encouraged me this morning. Thank you.