Friday, September 6, 2013

He Watches Over Us

 
I am probably as old today as Ethel Waters was when she sang this song. This song sustained me during a very dark time in my life some 30 years ago. In fact, I had a small gift shop in the downstairs of my parents 4,000 sq ft Victorian home.
They had moved to New Orleans and allowed me to try this venture. The venture failed, but God did not.
When I moved from 4,000 sq ft to 900 in the middle of a cow pasture, I took with me the knowing that He still had His eye on me. Since that time I have lived from Florida to Texas to Lesotho, a small kingdom completely surrounded by South Africa and back to Florida and now Georgia. Everywhere I went, He went with me. Any troubles I had were because I went with me, too.
You see His eye is on us, but there is a time when that has to become a part of the decisions we make for ourselves.
Yes, when I was younger, many bad things happened to me even while His eye was on me because of another's free will. I shouted at God, turned my back on Him and ran from Him. All the while He kept His eye on me.
It is when I recognized that not only was He watching me, but He had so much love to give me if I would just receive it. Then I knew what it meant to sing back, I see you, Daddy. I see you watching me. Which way should I go? He leads me to the extent I yield to Him.
When Ray was in the hospital having a quadruple bypass, my daughter, Margie, went to the gift shop and bought me two bronze sparrows. It was a poignant reminder that we are not alone in our journey called life.
Thirty years ago I sang this without knowing what love was available to me when I returned that gaze. Today I sing it knowing because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
I am attaching one more video especially for Caitlin and others at crossroads.

No comments: