Thursday, August 20, 2009

God's Glamour Girl

For over sixty years, I saw no good thing when I looked in the mirror.
About three years ago, I began selling Mary Kay with an ulterior motive. I knew I wasn't a hypocrite and if I sold it, I would have to use it which meant two things:
I would have to take better care of myself and I would have to use a quality product not whatever is the cheapest. In other words, I had to value myself.
It actually took some time for me to look in the mirror without disdain. I would stand before the mirror and pray, "God, help me to see what you see when you see me, because I see no good thing."
I enjoy doing one on one facials and talking to a woman about who she is in Christ Jesus. The more I do it, the more I believe it for myself as well.
You see it isn't really about Mary Kay at all. In fact, often times I take my profits and plow it back into more product to give away to people who have very limited means.
I love pampering them. I love to make them feel valuable especially if they have been abused.
It so opens the door for me to minister to their deep heart needs.
Today a friend, Deborah, sent me an acrostic about God's Glamour Woman. This is the stuff that goes much deeper than Mary Kay ever can.

The Qualities of God’s Glamour Girl written by Jacqueline Overpeck
Who is God’s glamour girl and what are her admirable qualities?

According to Scripture, she is:

G – Gorgeous inside and out
She fears the Lord knowing He is the source of all good things.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30

L – Laughter
She’s isn’t afraid to laugh out loud and she looks for ways to encourage others.

…the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Nehemiah 8:10

A – All about adoration
She’s got a heart for applauding her King. She loves to praise and worship her God.

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Psalm 100:1-2

M – Mercy
Her heart is full of compassion and her hands are ready to serve.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:12-14

O – Original
She’s uniquely herself. She places her whole life in God’s hands--knowing as His creation she already shines like a star.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made…
Psalm 139:13-14

U – Understanding
She has a ravenous appetite for wisdom and she loves to read the Bible. She’s thirsty for truth and delights in understanding the mysteries of God.

By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.
Proverbs 24:3-4

R – Righteousness
She keeps herself pure. She desires to be an untarnished vessel for God’s anointing to flow through. Nothing is more important to God’s Glamour Girl than establishing heaven’s kingdom on earth.

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long.
Psalm 71:14-15

TRUE GLAMOUR
God’s glamour girl is gorgeous inside and out. She’s filled with laughter.
She has a song in her heart. Mercy springs from her spirit.
She’s totally original. Her Bible is handy.
She uses her unique gifts and talents to share the saving message of Jesus with the world.

No comments: